Your grandmother was right: kids need fresh air and exercise — we all do.
Families who find ways to be outdoors are healthier and happier, especially when they spend their holidays at Big 4 Forest Glen – then spending time outdoors is a must!
Research shows, kids who spend time outside in nature are calmer, happier, and healthier, have better vision and learn easier than children who spend their days indoor.
There are even studies that show how sunshine, fresh air and physical activity can encourage good moods and reduce tendencies toward depression.
Many kids who don’t get enough time outdoors are Vitamin D deficient, affecting health and mood. And because of this, kids who play outdoors more have better vision and have longer attention spans.
This is true because when you think about it, outdoor play is less structured than what kids do indoors with technology, so kids exercise their imaginations as well as their bodies.
But we must remember to encourage outdoor play, so parents need to get outside, too! At Big 4 Forest Glen, we have plenty of activities for the whole family, including tennis, lawn bowls, a play area and mini golf.
However, if you’re having trouble thinking up some ideas, here is a little list we have put together:
- Take a blanket, snacks and a ball or frisbee to the park
- Play kickball or soccer or catch
- Blow bubbles
- Play tag
- Go on a family bike ride
- Go on a nature walk
- Collect rocks or leaves
- Look for animal footprints
- Watch bugs
- Send kids on a scavenger hunt
- Give kids water and they’ll find ways to play with it.
- Set up the sprinkler and cut up a watermelon.
- Try a night walk and bring flashlights for fun and safety, but turn them off for stargazing.
- If you have a safe place for a campfire, don’t miss the opportunity to sit outside telling stories of when you were a kid, or what your kids did when they were younger.
- Sing songs, roast marshmallows and make some memories.